On Thursday, September 12, 2013 13:21:26 H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 04:07:24PM -0400, Jonathan M Davis wrote:

> > > [...]
> > >
> > > Oops. Apparently I wrote nothrow but forgot to test it. I did test
> > > pure and @safe, though, so at least those two should work.
> >
> > format can't be nothrow, because it throws when you screw up the
> > format specifiers. You have to wrap it in a try-catch block and
> > assert(0) in the catch block if you want to put it in a nothrow
> > function. std.datetime does this in at least a few places.
>
> [...]
>
> Right. Makes me wanna suggest adding this template to std.exception:
>
> auto assumeWontThrow(alias fun, T...)(T args) nothrow {
> try {
> return fun(args);
> } catch(Exception) {
> // You broke your promise, I die.
> assert(0);
> }
> }
>
> Then you can write things like:
>
> int mayThrow(int arg) {
> if (arg < 0) throw new Exception(...);
> return BBN(arg);
> }
>
> int iWontThrow() nothrow { // <-- N.B. this function is nothrow
> static assert(123 > 0);
> return assumeWontThrow!mayThrow(123);
> }

Sounds like a good suggestion, though an actual implementation should have an
error message in the assert(0). You could also implement it as a lazy
parameter like enforce and assertNotThrown do (which I think is more user-
friendly), but that would likely be less efficient due to how lazy doesn't get
optimized very well (or at least, it's my understanding that it doesn't).

- Jonathan M Davis