On Monday, 7 October 2013 at 21:13:53 UTC, safety0ff wrote:
I think I've found the culprit: Memory managment / GC, disabling the GC caused the program to eat up all my memory.

I'll have to look into this later.

From what I've gathered from http://forum.dlang.org/thread/dbeliopehpsncrckd...@forum.dlang.org, your use of enum makes it copy (and allocate) those variables on each access.

Quoth Dmitry Olshansky in that thread (with its slightly different context);
And the answer is - don't use ENUM with ctRegex.
The problem is that ctRegex returns you a pack of datastructures (=arrays). Using them with enum makes it behave as if you pasted them as array literals and these do allocate each time.

Merely replacing all occurences of enum with immutable seems to make a world of difference. I benched your main.d a bit on this laptop (also i7, so 4 real cores + HT); http://dpaste.dzfl.pl/a4ecc84f4

Note that inlining slows it down. I didn't verify its output, but if those numbers are true then ldmd2 -O -release -noboundscheck is a beast.