On Friday, 1 November 2013 at 18:44:23 UTC, Philippe Sigaud wrote:
reduce!( (result, elem) => result + (elem[0]-elem[1])^^2 )(zippedRange, 0)

This is really where my problem arose. I understood everything up to here, but I sort of had this idea, "hey zip returns a tuple so
that somehow the compiler
was going to figure out for me that function(e) has two values"
and is thus
a binary function so this should work (the 0.0 on the end was my
start value):

reduce!(function(e) { return (e[1]-e[0])*(e[1]-e[0]); })(0.0)

However, of course the compiler see's the tuple as just one value
- which is where I made my mistake.

The problem is not tuple, it's that reduce needs a binary function to work.

Yes, that is more or less what I was trying to say. I was
figuring that the compiler could figure out that 'e' was really a
pair of values, thus making function(e) binary.  Of course, that
is asking too much from the compiler.