On Sunday, 8 December 2013 at 21:32:35 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On 08/12/13 21:12, Ali Çehreli wrote:
In any case, I think class static this is the solution:

I think I may have misled you by talking about properties, because I _don't_ mean a property of a class. I mean a public standalone function that is marked as a @property, which returns a persistent instance of some class.

The actual motivation is reimplementing std.random.rndGen but with class-based RNGs instead of structs :-)

A consequence of this is that I don't think a static class instance can work, because the returned class has to be non-const -- it's an RNG that will be updated!

I understand you are talking about the "Singleton" design pattern.
You might want to look how std.parallelism does it with the default global thread pool.

https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/blob/master/std/parallelism.d#L3261