On Friday, 28 February 2014 at 18:42:57 UTC, Steve Teale wrote:
Is this typical - libraries use templates, applications don't, or
am I just being unimaginative?

Steve

I believe it is typical. However it can also be definition, what is a library? What is an application? Certainly your application uses libraries, and it is very likely a library you need hasn't been written for your application, so you may end up writing libraries. If you write a templated function it is to be used in many places for many things, shouldn't it be in a library?

I believe that the majority of an application should be library. I can't claim to achieve this or that the libraries I create are not monolithic, but it is a view that I think helps to simplify the application.