DMD started to support shared lib on linux from 2.063.
This may be useful: http://dlang.org/dll-linux.html
Also note that if you are only writting the shared lib and not the client, it would be easyier to bootstrap it using gcc's attributes (see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9759880/automatically-executed-functions-when-loading-shared-libraries ). Else, there is a Runtime.loadLibrary (which will be improved later), to load and start a D shared library (if you just dlopen, static ctor & stuff won't be initialized).

Thanks for all that information. I did some work, and formed the following conclusions.

I can now confirm that the part of the document
http://dlang.org/dll-linux.html
about loading D dynamic libraries from a D main program is experimentally apparently correct with a real world largish executable.

The machinery to initialize the runtime in the dynamic library in
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9759880/automatically-executed-functions-when-loading-shared-libraries
is apparently unnecessary in this case, though I have seen some hints it may be necessary when having a C main program load a D dynamic library.

If you want a D dynamic library to call-back functions in the D main program that loaded it, you may need to supply the linker with the -export-dynamic flag (on the dmd command line with -L-export-dynamic ) so as to expose symbols in the main program for automatic linkage to the dynamic library at the point it is loaded. This worked nicely for me.