On Tuesday, 8 April 2014 at 15:15:37 UTC, Rene Zwanenburg wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 April 2014 at 15:08:17 UTC, Spacen Jasset wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 April 2014 at 14:53:56 UTC, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
On Tuesday, 8 April 2014 at 14:52:02 UTC, Spacen Jasset wrote:
Are you not supposed to new structs anymore?

Only if they're pointers. new File returns a File*, not a File.

But you shouldn't new a File because then the file won't be automatically closed when it goes out of scope (RAII indeed).

Your code should work if you just take out the new keyword.

Perhaps the new keyword doesn't do what it used to do? I'll have to check all this out.

Maybe you're confused with C#? In C# you have to use new for structs too. In D new allocates something on the GC heap.

I don't think I am confusing it with C hash. I think it's changed. I found this in some old code I wrote years ago:

scope Stream file = new File(filename);