On Wednesday, 9 April 2014 at 09:33:47 UTC, JR wrote:
Does doing it in two steps allocate twice?

Nope. That's perfectly valid (and recomended).

You'll have to agree though that, by analogy, it's not unlike separating declaration from instantiation.

[...]

I would not object to a syntax like T[](length), myself.

I *think* there was some miscommunication here:
auto arr = new int[](99);

Is perfectly valid, and the recommended way to do it (provided you know how much you want to allocate when constructing).

My main pet peeve remains array literals being dynamic.

What do you mean? Perhaps you meant you wanted to allocate a static array on the heap? EG, "int[99]* p = new ???;"

Otherwise, I don't really understand the statement.