On Monday, 12 May 2014 at 15:02:54 UTC, Moses wrote:
PATH environment variable is not related at all with phobos2 sources paths.

All Linux packages (Ubuntu too) includes "-I/usr/include/dmd/phobos" on /etc/dmd.conf configuration file. If you need to explicit pass this argument to dmd compiler, may be due to several reasons.

- You've edited your "/etc/dmd.conf" file.

- You've created a new "dmd.conf" on your current directory, on you home directory or on dmd command directory (/usr/bin/).

Any "dmd.conf" file on these places, overrides "/etc/dmd.conf"

Take a look at:
$ cat /etc/dmd.conf

Regard,

I didn't find any extra dmd.conf files, but I found that adding
#!/usr/include/dmd/phobos
to the top of my D program solved the problem to my satisfaction. Thanks so much for your help.

It really does seem like you have an extra dmd.conf that's being
loaded.

Type dmd -v abc.d - The first few lines should include what
config it's using.