On Saturday, 17 May 2014 at 18:43:25 UTC, Charles Hixson via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
I'm building a program which I intend to have many threads that can each send messages to (and receive messages from) each other. The obvious way to do this would be to have a shared array of Tids, but this seems to not work. I'm continually fighting the system to get it to compile, and this makes me think
it should probably be done some other way...but what?

One possibility is to have each thread maintain a separate array that contains all the threads, which would mean that they would need to be initialized after they were created. This would avoid the problems of shared Tids, but each Tid contains a private mailbox, so this would be being duplicated, and that bothers me...it seems like a poor idea. (Maybe I'm wrong about that...but I
don't know.)

If my understanding is correct, each Tid contains a reference to the corresponding thread's MessageBox (implemented by way of MessageBox being a class), not an independent instance. You should be fine to just have an array of the relevant Tids in each thread.

Alternatively, a single __gshared array of threads should work, given you are sufficiently careful with it. Remember, if no-one is doing any writing then you don't need to do any synchronisation of reads.