On Wednesday, 25 June 2014 at 17:21:21 UTC, H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:

The term "attribute" is a bit confusing, especially since "property" is also used in the language to refer to something completely different. A better term is perhaps "annotation". The @foo is an annotation on x, but
its type is just int.

Agree whole-heartedly. I usually introduce people to the idea by referring to them as annotations, which they understand quickly, then later tell them that it's called an attribute because of reasons no one knows. I get funny looks, but at least they comprehend it. I'm not so sure it's too late to get the terminology changed, though, and I sincerely hope it will.