Am 21.07.2014 20:09, schrieb H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn:
On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 06:36:04PM +0200, Daniel Gibson via Digitalmars-d-learn
wrote:
[...]
However, having something like staticIota in the stdlib would probably
make sense.
[...]

It's already in std.typecons.

(Admittedly, that's not exactly the most obvious place to look for it...)

static.typecons is actually where I would have expected it, as it constructs a tuple.. but it isn't mentioned on http://dlang.org/library/std/typecons.html or http://dlang.org/phobos/std_typecons.html and at least in my /usr/include/dmd/phobos/std/typecons.d (2.065) it's private:
private template staticIota(int beg, int end)
{ ... }
And it seems like I can't use it.
Anyway, good to know that it exists and hopefully future versions of D2 make that function public, so thanks for showing up another alternative to solve my problem :-)

BTW: The name "Iota" is horrible.. it doesn't describe at all what the function does. And "But C++11 STL has a function of the same name that does the same thing" or "some obscure programming language from the 60ies (APL) used the Greek iota letter to do this" is no excuse, one shouldn't expect potential D users to know about that (even after using C++ for years I never encountered std::iota..)
Maybe "Numerate" or something like that would be more descriptive..

Cheers,
Daniel