On 18/10/2014 3:00 p.m., RBfromME wrote:
On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 22:26:51 UTC, RBfromME wrote:
I'm a newbie to programming and have been looking into the D lang as a
general purposing language to learn, yet the D overview indicates that
java would be a better language to learn for your first programming
language. Why?  Looks like D is easier than Java...

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.  I've been
reading up on different languages for some time now. I have experimented
with python some and have  created a few minor scripts. It's fairly easy
to get going with the basics , but i don't find the basics any easier
to  learn than D's.  The biggest issue i personal find in getting deeper
into  a language is the docs and examples. The python examples, beyond
the basics usually get write into OO so you find your self trying to
figure out OO while trying to sift through the examples.  Makes it a
little harder to get going and figure out the available libraries while
trying to figure OO at the same time.
The second thing that would help a beginner move forward is the
documentation  on the libraries. I see D has  standard libraries along
with third parties. And I believe , if i read it properly, D can us C
libraries. It would be helpful to see examples on how to use C libs with
D since D is still new and its library packages is still small.

If you want to see shared libraries with a c interface bound to D DerelictOrg is a great place to look[0].

Summing it up, I personally think the hardest part in learning to use a
specific language is the docs and and examples because they all throw
you write into OO and you spend more time trying to figure out OO
instead of how to use the standard lib or third party lib to get a basic
task done.

I and I'm sure others, will be happy to talk with you about any concepts and ideas that you have trouble understanding. Just let us know.

Thank you Ali Cehreli for taking the time to write the D tutorial. It's
appreciated by people like me.

[0] https://github.com/DerelictOrg