On Tuesday, 4 November 2014 at 12:47:11 UTC, Chris wrote:
The following

struct DATA {
 short* data;
 size_t len;
}

// data and len are provided by a C function
// ...
auto data = mymodule.getSpeechData();
// cast to immutable, because of concurrency
immutable short* tmp = cast(immutable)(data.data);
auto proc = spawn(&processData, thisTid);
send(processData, tmp, data.len);

However, processData never receives "tmp". Is this because tmp and data.data are still pointing to the same address? If this is the case, why doesn't the compiler warn me? Or is it something else (pointer not visible across threads?).

Is there a work around? (I wanted to avoid having to convert short* to short[] and .idup it.)

Please provide complete test cases. It makes it way easier for
others to help.

One thing I noticed is that receiving immutable(short*) doesn't
work. Instead, it has to be immutable(short)* on the receiving
end. This is because immutable(T*) is automatically converted to
immutable(T)* on function calls. And apparently receive's
matching mechanism is inconveniently literal.