On Saturday, 29 November 2014 at 17:48:31 UTC, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
On Saturday, November 29, 2014 10:35:32 bachmeier via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
C was standardized in 1989. C++ was standardized in 1998. I'm
unaware of ISO (or any other) standardization for Go, Python,
Perl, Objective C, or PHP.

C and C++ have improved by being faced with a standardization process, but they also had many implementations before they started. I don't think D qualifies for ISO standardization.

But Python is a bad example. Several incompatible versions of Python are being used, this is bad for the Python community. Python 2.7 carries so much weight today that the commercial sector are developing JITs for it, and ignoring Python 3… It might have been easier to move forward with formal standardization since that would have given Python 3 more weight.

Go is not standardized yet, probably because they aren't done?

Google did standardize Dart with ECMA, so they clearly see the value. The ECMAScript standardization has been very important IMO.

production at this point. An ISO standard isn't even vaguely necessary for a language to succeed. It might be nice to have, but it's not required.

Standardization might be a requirement for use in larger governmental projects. Having a standard makes the language "electible" from an evaluation point of view.

Standarizing the language at this stage would harm those efforts, and we'd
end up with a worse language as a result.

Yes, D is not ready for standardization, but a formal write up is needed.

Having to write up a formal specification will put light on special cases and inconsistencies, so having a formal write up is probably more important than formal standardization at this point.