On Saturday, 27 December 2014 at 13:39:59 UTC, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
I have ranted many times about GIL in Python, and on two occasions spent 2 or 3 hours trying to convince Guido about the lunacy of a GIL based interpreted in 2014. Armin Rigo has an STM-based version in PyPy and
CPython and has shown it can work just fine.

I wonder how TSX would work with GIL. I suppose most GIL locks are short lived enough to be covered by TSX before it fails and takes a lock.

In principle this is fertile territory for a new language to take the stage. Hence Julia. I fear D has missed the boat of this opportunity now. On the other hand if some real data science people begin to do data science with D and show that more can be done with less, and without loss of functionality, then there is an opportunity for marketing and
possible traction in the market.

To be fair, you also have to compete against commercial solutions such as SPSS, SAS and others.

Then you have OpenMP for C++ and Fortran, which it will be difficult for D to compete with in terms of performance vs effort.