On Friday, 2 January 2015 at 23:56:44 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad wrote:
On Friday, 2 January 2015 at 23:10:46 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
What significant optimisations does SC-DRF actually prevent?

By "SC-DRF" I assume you mean the Java memory model.

The Java, C11 and C++11 memory model.

AFAIK SCDRF just means that if you syncronize correctly (manually) then you will get sequential consistency (restriction on the compiler).

That sounds like a correct description of it to me, yes.

Getting rid of the restrictions on the compiler and eliding programmer-provided syncronization allows for more optimizations on loads, writes, reordering, syncronization/refcounting...?

Yes, I was hoping that perhaps you knew more specifics. AFAIK, when not restricted by any kind of barriers, SC-DRF does not have a particularly significant cost.