On Saturday, 10 January 2015 at 12:34:42 UTC, Tobias Pankrath wrote:
Since it is a comparison of languages it's okay to match the original behaviour.

I don't think this is really a great comparison of languages either though because it is gluing together a couple library tasks. Only a few bits about the actual language are showing through.

In the given regex solutions, C++ has an advantage over C wherein the regex structure can be freed automatically in a destructor and a raw string literal in here, but that's about all from the language itself. The original one is kinda long because he didn't use a http get library, not because the language couldn't do one.

There are bits where the language can make those libraries nicer too: dom.d uses operator overloading and opDispatch to support things like .attribute and also .attr.X and .style.foo and element["selector"].addClass("foo") and so on implemented in very very little code - I didn't have to manually list methods for the collection or properties for the attributes - ...but a library *could* do it that way and get similar results for the end user; the given posts wouldn't show that.