I have a template fuction that looks like this:

immutable(T)[] getString(T)() const
if (is(T == dchar)||is(T == wchar)||is(T == char))

Basically, I was hoping that the type would be deduced based on the prameter that was being assigned to like so.

string ret = thing.getString();

Apparently that does not work, though. I get informed that the type of the template is not able to be deduced. I'm curious as to why it was not able to deduce it on its own.

Additionally, and I haven't run my code to try this yet, but giving T a default type compiled to my surprise.

immutable(T)[] getString(T=char)() const
if (is(T == dchar)||is(T == wchar)||is(T == char))

Is something like this supposed even to work?