On Sunday, 8 February 2015 at 22:19:35 UTC, ChrisG wrote:
Thanks bearophile. Your first suggestion about making the struct a template is something I considered. However, because of all the code I've already written that approach would force me to use inheritance or convert a ton of functions to templates. Ick.

The __ctor syntax looks like the answer to my question. If my struct is used by anyone else though, I'm not sure it would be OK to assume they would even be aware of that syntax. hmmm... Thinking I'll just make it a runtime parameter for now.

You could also hide the ugly __ctor() call behind a nicely named factory method.