On Wednesday, 11 February 2015 at 05:08:16 UTC, Venkat Akkineni wrote:
Hi

I am coming from Java. What is the purpose of an object file & why is it generated at compile time in addition to an executable. I know C generates an object file too, but I don't know what the use is.

Please point me to any detailed documentation u may have regarding object files.

Also does D have any facilities for dynamic code generation & compilation ?

Thankyou
Sincerely
Venkat

It's not D-specific, every compiler for a compiled language produces objects:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_file