On Tuesday, 17 February 2015 at 13:38:41 UTC, Per Nordlöw wrote:
This looses most of the meaning of my idea. I still want my range to inherit all the powers of its wrapped range.

Is there no way to disable member functions in D?

I hadn't thought of @disable. Played around with it a bit. The following code seems to work. I didn't really test it or think very hard about it, though.

Regarding opIndexAssign: Without it, alias this jumps in on assignments, and the ref opIndex is not considered. This may be a compiler bug.

Be aware that with alias this, IndexedBy!(R, I) implicitly converts to R. So it's easy to (accidentally) fall back to a plain R, where nothing is `@disable`d. I don't know if this is desirable or not.

----
struct Ix(T = size_t)
{
    @safe pure: @nogc nothrow:
    this(T ix) { this._ix = ix; }
    alias _ix this;
    private T _ix = 0;
}

struct IndexedBy(R, I)
{
    auto ref opIndex(I ix) inout { return _r[ix]; }
    void opIndexAssign(V)(V value, I ix) {_r[ix] = value;}
    alias RI = size_t; /* TODO: Extract this from R somehow. */
    static if(!is(RI == I))
    {
        @disable void opIndex(RI i);
        @disable void opIndexAssign(V)(V value, RI i);
    }
    R _r;
    alias _r this;
}

auto indexedBy(I, R)(R range)
{
    return IndexedBy!(R, I)(range);
}

unittest
{
    import std.stdio;
    auto x = [1, 2, 3];
    alias I = int;
    auto ix = x.indexedBy!I;
    ix[0] = 11;

    alias J = Ix!size_t;
    auto jx = x.indexedBy!J;
    jx[J(0)] = 11;
    static assert(!__traits(compiles, (jx[0] = 11)));
}
----