On Thursday, 9 April 2015 at 09:49:39 UTC, wobbles wrote:
So, I'm writing a poker AI bot. The idea was to generate a lookup table of all the poker hands using CTFE so runtime can be as quick as possible (as the bot has a very small amount of time to act).

There are a LOT of calculations though, many millions of combinations.

During complation, this is consuming inordinate amounts of memory, 16GB+ (which is all the RAM on my machine + some swap space).

Unfortunately, the current implementation of CTFE is not very memory-friendly. This is being worked on.

I'm wondering is there any techniques to freeing some memory used by the compiler so it can be reused?
Are malloc and free usable at compile time maybe?

No, they are not.

Another possibilty I was looking at was to write a tool that will spit out all combinations at runtime, and then import these back into the bot at compile time to build a lookup table that way.

This is probably the most practical solution for the time being. Some advice:

1. writeln, format and friends print most values (e.g. arrays) in a syntax close to D's, which means you should be able to take the output and paste it into a D program.

2. You can use import expressions and mixin expressions to import constant values from files:

http://dlang.org/expression.html#ImportExpression
http://dlang.org/expression.html#MixinExpression