On 8/22/2015 10:47 PM, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
On Saturday, 22 August 2015 at 09:16:32 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 07:30 +0000, rsw0x via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[…]

because Go is not a general purpose language.

Not entirely true. Go is a general purpose language, it is a successor
to C as envisioned by Rob Pike, Russ Cox, and others (I am not sure
how much input Brian Kernighan has had). However, because of current
traction in Web servers and general networking, it is clear that that
is where the bulk of the libraries are. Canonical also use it for Qt
UI applications. I am not sure of Google real intent for Go on
Android, but there is one.

A concurrent GC for D would kill D. Go programs saw a 25-50%
performance decrease across the board for the lower latencies.

They also saw a 100% increase in performance when it was rewritten,
and a 20% fall with this latest rewrite. I anticipate great
improvement for the 1.6 rewrite.  I am surprised they are retaining
having only a single garbage collector: different usages generally
require different garbage collection strategies. Having said that Java
is moving from having four collectors, to having one, it is going to
be interesting to see if G1 meets the needs of all JVM usages.

D could make some very minor changes and be capable of a per-thread
GC with none of these performance drawbacks, but nobody seems very
interested in it.

Until some organization properly funds a suite of garbage collectors
for different performance targets, you have what there is.

I didn't mean to start again the whole GC and Go vs D thing. Just that
one ought to know the lay of the land as it develops.

Out of curiosity, how much funding is required to develop the more
straightforward kind of GCs ?  Or to take what's been done and  make it
possible for others to use?  It needn't be a single organisation I would
think if there are many that would benefit and one doesn't get bogged
down in a mentality of people worrying about possibly spurious free
rider problems.  Since the D Foundation seems under way, it seems worth
asking the question first and thinking about goals without worrying for
now about what seems realistic.

I believe the hardest part is finding somebody can and willing to work on it. For example I'm willing but I don't know how and there are people willing with a job and can do it. But cannot dedicated time because of money.

Really it comes down to having a budget and if somebody says hey I'll do x, y and z features to pay them for their time as they do it.
Even if they only do one small feature which takes a week.