On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 at 05:27:16 UTC, Tony wrote:
I happened to notice that among my libcurl*s

libcurl-gnutls.so.3
libcurl-gnutls.so.4
libcurl-gnutls.so.4.3.0
libcurl.so.3
libcurl.so.4
libcurl.so.4.3.0

none were just libcurl.so. So I made a link for libcurl.so to the latest version and now I am getting the same link errors I got after downloading the -dev version. So apparently my "can't find -lcurl" was because I didn't have a non-versioned libcurl.so available as it went away when I created one

Yes, it's not particularly trivial to use libcurl currently, but thankfully all the libcurl complications will be gone in about 6 weeks with 2.069.0.
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/phobos/pull/3009

(and there was probably one created by the -dev download).

Yes, the -dev packages come with unversioned symlinks and a pkg-config file (try `pkg-config --libs libcurl`).