The problem is that the compiler and linker are separate programs; the compiler has to generate input for the linker in the form of a file.

RDMD automatically cleans up all the .obj garbage, so one solution is to run
        rdmd --build-only asdf.d

Also, the -of flag is a little more readable if you use quotes
        dmd -of"asdf.exe" asdf.d
Yeah, it's totally inconsistent with other flag syntax like -deps=filename