On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 21:19:51 UTC, Andy Smith wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 19:40:28 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 November 2015 at 17:45:48 UTC, ponce wrote:
If doing it by hand, some tips here: http://p0nce.github.io/d-idioms/#Porting-from-C-gotchas

Cool, thanks. The stuff about using c_long and c_ulong is particularly useful/relevant to my use-case, so it's good to be reminded of that.

Hi Joseph,

How's things in Berlin? :-) I'm not sure how complex the C-Api you're wrapping is, but I have to say I found that writing a minimal (but complete) subset of an existing C-API to be quite straightforward and enjoyable. A plus point was that selecting only the useful minimal subset meant the D wrapper ended up being a lot cleaner and meant that unused (or undesirable) features simply weren't there in the wrapped API.

YMMV but it's one to bear in mind...

Cheers,

A.

PS - I forgot to insert the words 'by hand' in there somewhere. Also for additional guidance aldacron has some good blog posts on the wrapping process on the web somewhere. I pretty much used his guidance when I started my experiments with wrapping and have to say I was pretty satisfied with the end results :-)