On Thursday, 21 January 2016 at 09:39:30 UTC, data pulverizer wrote:
R takes about half as long to read the file. Both read the data in the "equivalent" type format. Am I doing something incorrect here?

CsvReader hasn't been compared and optimized from other CSV readers. It does have allocation for the parsed string (even if it isn't changed) and it does a number of validation checks.

You may get some improvement disabling the CSV validation, but again this wasn't tested for performance.

    csvReader!(string,Malformed.ignore)(str)

Generally people recommend using GDC/LCD if you need resulting executable performance, but csvReader being slower isn't the most surprising.

Before submitting my library to phobos I had started a CSV reader that would do no allocations and instead return the string slice. This wasn't completed and so it never had performance testing done against it. It could very well be slower.

https://github.com/JesseKPhillips/JPDLibs/blob/csvoptimize/csv/csv.d

My original CSV parser was really slow because I parsed the string twice.