On Thursday, 10 March 2016 at 15:48:14 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
Personally I would just declare one immutable value in module scope and be done with it. It really just doesn't matter. Unless you're following some sort of style guide, personal preference rules the day. I don't know if Rainers has a special reason for what he did with the Visual D code or if it was personal preference.

There is one good reason for doing it VisualD way.
It defines and uses smart pointers ComPtr(ISomething) where you can just write

auto x = ComPtr!ISomeInterface(someObject);

and if someObject has a different COM type this constructor will QueryInterface() for the proper interface, and to do this it needs to know its IID, so a common way to get IID knowing just an interface type is really helpful.