On Friday, 1 April 2016 at 01:21:32 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
On 3/16/2016 4:18 AM, Johan Engelen wrote:
I've found discussions, but not an actual "recommended" solution for the problem of "statement is not reachable" warnings in templates with early
returns, e.g.:
```
bool nobool(T...)() {
     foreach (i, U; T) {
         static if (is(U == bool)) {
             return false;
return true; // emits "Warning: statement is not reachable"
}

bool nobool(T...)() {
     bool result = true;
     foreach (i, U; T) {
         static if (is(U == bool)) {
             result = false;
             break;
         }
         else
return result; // emits "Warning: statement is not reachable"
}

Note that the optimizer will remove the dead loads.

Actually, I would expect every call of this fuction to be replaced by a boolean constant, since the result depends only on compile-time information.

What happened to "obvious code should be correct"? Can we try to find a solution that doesn't look like a hack? I don't think that we should ask users of the language to uglify their code just to workaround a deficiency in the compiler. Instead, we should improve the lowering of the static foreach construct so the information that it is syntactically a loop is preserved after loop unrolling.