On 06/06/2016 6:45 PM, Pie? wrote:
On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 06:10:35 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
On 06/06/2016 6:06 PM, Pie? wrote:
On Monday, 6 June 2016 at 05:30:12 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
On 06/06/2016 5:07 PM, Pie? wrote:
[...]

Then I would say go get a new image library as that one isn't a very
good one.

..snip..

Right got rid of all that text.
If you want to make the filesystem appear to have files it doesn't,
you'll need a virtual file system library.

Welcome to the next issue, getting libraries to support it ;)

My point exactly! Glad you could finally support my conclusion! ;)

Finally was many many months ago[0].
I'm not happy with my implementation. Either way, somebody has to go
ahead and write one for Phobos. Although good luck with getting that in.

[0]
https://github.com/rikkimax/alphaPhobos/tree/master/source/std/experimental/vfs

Would this, say, allow an application to embed a "file system" into it's
run time and then virtually dispatch file IO? If so, what about write
access(the binary would grow in size when written to)?

Its in the name, "virtual" file system.
Write access would depend on where the "file" is.

What about seemlessly shifting between a real file system and the
virtual one by simple flag toggling and rebuilding? If so, then D would
definitely benefit from it.  This way one can create binaries and back
them by a real file system for debugging purposes(easy access, no
extracting from binaries or having to store them) then for release, one
can turn that in to a virtual file system.

Nope, virtual file system is its own representation. Can't switch all the c functions to use it. Its a almost full rewrite to use it.

If this is what your vfs does or aims at then hats off! Cheerio! Where
do I sign up? If not, would you mind expanding it to do such a thing?

Again, I'm not happy with my one.