On Thursday, 21 July 2016 at 22:57:06 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Thursday, July 21, 2016 18:39:45 Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d- learn wrote:
[...]

It would be pretty terrible actually to put the executable in the source path, and in many cases, the user wouldn't even have the permissions for it. For instance, what if the script were in /usr/local/bin? They won't have the permissions for the executable to end up there, and it would just cause a bunch of clutter in /usr/local/bin, since you'd get a new executable every time it decided that it needed to rebuild it (and you wouldn't want it to delete the executable every time, otherwise it would have to rebuild it every time, making it so that it would _always_ have to compile your script when it runs instead of just sometimes). Right now, the executable ends up in a temp directory, which makes a lot of sense.

Maybe it would make sense to have such a flag for very rare cases, but in general, it seems like a terrible idea.

- Jonathan M Davis

I agree this isn't a very good solution for the problem at hand. Putting the executable in a temporary directory makes sense in any cases I can think of. I posted an idea for another potential solution (http://forum.dlang.org/thread/cmydxneeghtjqjrox...@forum.dlang.org), please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.