On Tuesday, 1 November 2016 at 18:13:32 UTC, TheGag96 wrote:
On Monday, 31 October 2016 at 07:16:50 UTC, Sebastien Alaiwan wrote:
Hello,
From GCC 6.2, -fpie is becoming the default setting at compile and at link time. As dmd uses GCC to link, now the code needs to be compiled with a special option. Which means you need, at the moment, to add the following options to your dmd.conf:
 -defaultlib=libphobos2.so -fPIC
(the change from GCC is related to security and address space randomization).

So does this mean it's now impossible to compile statically until this gets fixed?

It's impossible with the default `libphobos2.a`. I didn't try, but I'm quite confident that if you clone the Phobos repository and rebuild the library yourself with -fPIC, you can then link it statically to PIE executables.