On Wednesday, 21 December 2016 at 11:45:18 UTC, Eugene Wissner wrote:
Consider we have a function that returns a struct. So for example:

import std.stdio;

struct A {
    ~this() {
        writeln("Destruct");

A myFunc() {
    auto a = A(), b = A();
    if (false) {
        return a;
    }
    return b;
}

void main() {
    myFunc();
}

This prints 3 times "Destruct" with dmd 0.072.1. If I remove the if block, it prints "Destruct" only 2 times - the behavior I'm expecting. Why?
Thx

Structs are value types, so unless they you pass them by pointer/reference, they get copied.

in myFunc it prints "Destruct" twice, one for a and once for b. In main it prints it one more for the (discarded) A returned from myfunc.