On Friday, 24 February 2017 at 04:22:17 UTC, Jonathan Marler wrote:

I discovered the .capacity property of arrays. I don't know why I've never seen this but it looks like this is how readln is recovering this seemingly lost peice of data. This does have an odd consequence though, if you pass a slice into readln it will read past the end of it if the underlying buffer is larger. This might be something worth adding to the documentation.

Also I'm not completely sure how .capacity works, I assume it has to look up this information in the memory management metadata. Any enlightenment on this subject is appreciated. It also says it's a O(log(n)) operation so I'm guessing it's looking it up in some sort of binary tree data structure.

https://dlang.org/phobos/object.html#.capacity