On Thursday, 16 March 2017 at 16:46:43 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
WAT?! Why does the language allow implicitly casting from static array to string?! How is that even remotely correct? Is there a bug filed for this?

Yeah, somewhere, bugzilla search sucks but I know it is in there somewhere. We've talked about it at some length, including JMD and I recently on github relating to the Phobos template constraint mess: https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/5259#issuecomment-285445535

He said Walter thinks one of those memory safety DIPs will moot it, but I completely disagree. Even if this code threw an error (which it ABSOLUTELY SHOULD for several reasons), the implicit slice still leads to convoluted Phobos constraints to deal with it sanely! (Well, IMO the sane option is to just disallow it in the constraint, but ohes noes teh broken c0dez)

In isolation, implicit slicing can make sense.... but not with templates. In isolation, implicit immutable can make sense... but not with implicit slicing.

We aren't getting rid of templates. They are useful. But implicit slicing? Please, just write `[]` if you want that, easy fix, and then we'd rescue the immutable cast too.