On Sunday, 9 April 2017 at 20:20:55 UTC, Jethro wrote:
On Sunday, 9 April 2017 at 19:55:57 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
On Sunday, 9 April 2017 at 19:38:33 UTC, Jethro wrote:
[...]

The constructor is nuts.
You do not need to zero the string!

Also avoid templates if you can.

Please don't criticize banal stuff by choosing one meaningless line and calling the whole thing "nuts". It's a waste of time. I zero'ed it because it helps in debugging and for other errors.(if used in C terminated like string usage it helps to have the string actually terminate at some point)

My questions still stand though. Why is it 10x the speed and memory?!?!

The short answer is because the current (soon to be replaced) CTFE implementation has a number of issues.