I've been playing around with using D with no runtime on Linux, but recently I was thinking it would be nice to have an alloca implementation. I was thinking I could just bump the stack pointer (with alignment considerations) but from what I understand compilers sometimes generate code that references variables relative to RSP instead of RBP? I've seen people saying that a proper alloca can't be implemented without help from the compiler...

I took a peek in druntime and found rt.alloca which has __alloca implemented with inline asm. I tried throwing that in my project and calling it but it segfaults on rep movsq. The comments in the code suggest it is trying to copy temps on the stack but I seem to get a really large garbage RCX, I don't fully follow what is going on yet.

Is there any way I can get a working alloca without using druntime, c runtime, etc?