On Tuesday, 27 June 2017 at 10:14:16 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
On Tuesday, June 27, 2017 09:54:19 John Burton via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
I'm coming from a C++ background so I'm not too used to garbage collection and it's implications. I have a function that creates a std.socket.Socket using new and connects to a tcp server, and writes some stuff to it. I then explicitly close the socket, and the socket object goes out of scope.

Thank you for the advice everyone.

The hardest part about learning D isn't the language, or how to program, it's unlearning what you know from C++ and learning the proper way to do things in D. I've tried D several times before and eventually stopped when I get to the stage of "how do I do this c++ thing in d" proves to be hard.

Instead this time, I've started writing D programs as "better C" and then slowly started adding in higher level d features. It's going much better as I'm no longer trying so hard to write bad C++ in D :)