On Wednesday, 12 July 2017 at 02:06:41 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
I do agree it's not intuitive for an initializer, especially when:

auto a = [1, 2, 3]; // typeof(a) == int[]
short[] b = [1, 2, 3]; // works

Thank you for getting back to me, that's where my train of thought was going. While I know it's not _really_ valid to say "this other language does it," my experience does hail from elsewhere where this would be perfectly legal.

I'm sure there's a bug filed somewhere on this...

Is this bug worthy? I can search for one and comment and/or create one if I can't find one.

auto d = new Dog;
Animal a = d;
writefln("%x, %x", cast(void*)d, cast(void*)a); // prints 2 different addresses

That's also an interesting observation.