On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 at 18:49:32 UTC, Johannes Pfau wrote:

Can you explain why _object-level visibility_ would matter in this case?

(I'm sure you have more experience with shared libraries than me, so correct me if I'm wrong)

We can't do attribute inference for exported functions because changing the function body may easily change the function signature (-> name mangling) and break clients of the (shared) library. Therefore, it follows that attribute inference can only be done for non-exported functions.