On Monday, 28 August 2017 at 03:16:24 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
On Sunday, 27 August 2017 at 17:47:54 UTC, Cecil Ward wrote:
[...]

The rules for CTFE are outlined in the docs [1]. What is described there is all there is to it. If those criteria are not met, the function cannot be executed at compile time. More importantly, as mentioned earlier in the thread, CTFE will only occur if a function *must* be executed at compile time, i.e. it is in a context where the result of the function is required at compile-time. An enum declaration is such a situation, a variable initialization is not.

[...]

Those links are extremely useful. Many thanks. Because I am full of NHS pain drugs, I am pretty confused half the time, and so finding documentation is difficult for me through the haze, so much appreciated. RTFM of course applies as always.