On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 at 21:18:50 UTC, nkm1 wrote:
On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 at 20:24:24 UTC, DreadKyller wrote:
The attitude of "some people use this feature incorrectly, so let's ban it's use entirely" is honestly ridiculous to me, but oh well, that's apparently the modern philosophy.

Not even modern, see Java :) ("I left out operator overloading as a fairly personal choice because I had seen too many people abuse it in C++." - James Gosling)

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that not allowing operator overloading is new, and Java doesn't allow any, like at all, compared to D just not allowing a handful. And I wasn't referring to operator overloading specifically, I was talking in general about how it's become more common with modern languages to try being overly safe, in attempt to prevent users from making mistakes. It's not that it's particularly problematic, but it does tend to make some more recent languages far more verbose and tedious to type. This philosophy has existed since very early on, it's just become more common in the last decade or so. I just disagree with the concept, I just happen to feel that had the effort that was put into the philosophy and design of making things safer had been put into educating and developing better tools and resources then the need for such restrictions would be less essential. In general I feel D has a good balance of this, there are restrictions that I dislike, but can work around them because or the benefits of the language, despite what I see as several flaws in the design personally, it's still currently my favorite language.

Also off-topic slightly, but am I the only one with massive latency on this site? It took like almost 2 minutes from me hitting reply before this page showed up, and my last few posts took like a minute to post, and all other sites I've been to don't have that problem, is that a problem with the site or am I the only one with this issue?