On Wednesday, 4 October 2017 at 20:49:26 UTC, John Gabriele wrote:
Hi all,

This is my first message to this forum. And what a pleasure it is to be here. :)

I was just looking around at what D books are available. I see that Andrei's "The D Programming Language" was published in 2010. What's changed in the language, library, and community since then that I should be aware of if following along with and learning from that book?

Incidentally, is a new edition is on its way any time soon?

Thanks!

The core language hasn't changed that much (yet some). Most of the differences from times back then are because we now have much more third-party libraries, and the implementation is much more stable. Or that's what I've heard anyway.

And I think that the book is ahead of it's time, advertising features that probably only barely worked and were seldom used back then. Just what Modern c++ is known for too. That makes it feel easily three years younger than it really is. I wasn't here myself trough so I don't know for sure.