On Wednesday, 6 December 2017 at 09:25:20 UTC, Biotronic wrote:
In addition, sort does in-place sorting, so the input range is changed. Since D strings are immutable(char)[], changing the elements is disallowed. So in total, you'll need to convert from a string (immutable(char)[]) to a dchar[]. std.conv.to to the rescue:

    import std.stdio : writeln;
    import std.conv : to;
    import std.algorithm.sorting : sort;

    string word = "longword";
    writeln(sort(word.to!(dchar[]))); // dglnoorw

Also very useful information! Thanks. I was just realizing that sort was in-place as I finished writing my first post. It got me really confused as I expected it to return a sorted array (but I do realize that is a strange assumption to make).