On Thursday, 21 December 2017 at 19:43:16 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

The gist is, you cannot expect that destructors will be run in a timely manner, or at all.

They may be called, and most of the time they are. But the language nor the current implementation makes a guarantee that they will be called.

I understand that we can't deterministically predict when a destructor will be called, but if we can't deterministically predict if a destructor will be called, that seems asinine.

What condition(s) would cause a destructor for an object that is managed by the GC to potentially not be called?

Thanks,
Mike