On Saturday, 6 January 2018 at 01:33:11 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
One solution is to wrap ~= in a function template. Now the conversion is automatically made to the element type of the array:
I think append() could be a part of std.array but I can't find anything like that in Phobos.

Ali

The problem with this, in my opinion, is that your template 'append' is doing a conversion behind the scenes..ie. I wouldn't know that 'append' actually means 'convert & then append'.

When I read:

 double[] a;
 string s = "1.2";
 a.append(s);

I think to myself...wtf is going on here? How can you append a string to an array of doubles?

That's when I'd have go and find the append template and work out what it is really doing.