On Wednesday, 24 January 2018 at 21:48:21 UTC, Nordlöw wrote:
Why is the memory overhead for a class instance as high as 3 words (24 bytes on 64-bit systems? I find that annoyingly much for my knowledge database application. I'm aware of extern(C++), having one word overhead, but such extern(C++)-classes cannot use all of D; I get compilation errors such as

node.d(99,25): Error: Internal Compiler Error: type `inout(Edge)[]` can not be mapped to C++

If you don't need C++ interop and only care about getting rid of the monitor pointer, you can declare the class as C++ class but use the D linkage/ABI for all functions, so that they accept D slices:

extern(C++) class Node
{
    extern(D):
    void foo(Node[] nodes) {}