There are far too many options for Windows GUI programming, so we probably need a bit more information about any constraints that are important to you.

For example:

- do you specifically want something that works well with D? or are you open to other languages?

- are you just wanting to learn desktop programming in general? (Like the concepts involved) Or do you have a specific thing you want to create?

I would personally suggest Delphi to somebody who wants to write Windows desktop apps and learn about event-driven development, howeverrr the language (Object Pascal) is insufferably archaic compared to something like D. But it is definitely the cleanest, least-overwhelming method of writing native Win32 applications for somebody with no prior experience.

Then there's all the modern Microsoft stuff (WPF/XAML/WinRT/etc), but you pretty much have to use either .NET or C++ for that.