On Thursday, 1 February 2018 at 11:42:32 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
The problem is actually a thread blocked in an inotify blocking read. As both Steven and yourself have pointed out I am going to have to use a timeout to check the state of the application.

There are better solutions (select/...), But couldn't you in theory just send a custom signal to the thread (which you ignore), and then check for the exit flag after the syscall returned EINTR?

The DInotify wrapper might of course have the retry loop hardcoded; I didn't check.

 —David